Friday, July 10, 2009

Gallbladder Update #1

I went in to have follow up liver function testing done on Monday. I got in touch with the gastroenterologist's office and they did not even see me but instead referred me to the surgeon. The nice lady behind the desk said this surgeon removed her gallbladder in January and she thought he was great. I have an appointment on Wednesday so I am confident that I will be able to wait until after the walk to have it removed.

I have thankfully not experienced any major pain since the incident in my last post. Most days I feel bloated and a general ickyness. I just don't feel myself and I am tired. Every once in a while I need to sit and if I laugh too hard it hurts. I am being really careful not to eat fatty or spicy food (I love spicy food - so this makes me sad). I actually felt great yesterday and went to the gym for the first time since the gallstone night. I was able to do an hour on the elliptical and was feeling really great. Today I wasn't so hot again but I am hoping to walk tomorrow. My doctor told me to "take it easy" until the walk, so I will not be doing the scheduled 18 miles tomorrow. Maybe I will try 7 or 8. Can you imagine that I am calling a 7 or 8 mile walk "taking it easy". Who woulda thunk it?

My doctor's office called tonight with the results of my liver function tests. One is back to normal and the other is still elevated but nearly 4 times lower than the day after I passed the stone. Phew! So it looks like my liver was just reacting to his neighbor, Mr. Gallbladder's, turmoil. What an empathetic liver I have. He is still a little sad but he is going to be okay. Maybe he knows that Mr. Gallbladder will be leaving the neighborhood soon.

I will keep you posted after I see the surgeon. Thanks for all the well-wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment