Tuesday, February 24, 2009

"Money, it’s gotta be the shoes!”

On Monday, I went to Marathon Sports, an official 3-day outfitter, to buy me some new sneakers - hoooo-ray! As I mentioned before, I have been transitioning from mostly elliptical workouts to treadmill time and my sneakers are d-e-a-d, DEAD! I learned a lot at Marathon Sports, like some of the differences between walking and running shoes; that my right ankle rolls in when I walk; that the wearing on the outside of my old sneakers indicates that they were too narrow across the widest part of my foot; and a crazy lacing technique I can use to stop my left heel from sliding. I also learned that wearing the wrong sneakers was what was causing my horrible blisters! I am not going to get into it too much, because I HATE feet, but suffice it to say that 1 toe on my right foot and 3 toes on my left are more blister than actual toe. Eewww! I learned 2 other things from my trip to Marathon Shoes. First, if you are serious about walking or running, you cannot go to the mall and ask the advice from the folks in the referee stripes. Secondly, not everybody remembers Mars Blackmon from the 1986 film, She’s Gotta Have It. Every time I talk about the difference two days in new sneakers has made on my feet, I end up doing my Mars Blackmon impression from the Air Jordan commercials of the late 80’s and early 90’s. “Do you know? Do you know? Do you know?”

So Sherri just keeps getting more and more famous! Monday, I finally got my registration packet in the mail and there, on the cover of the official walker’s handbook, is my tiara-clad teammate! I am so excited for her. This is a big deal. But don’t tell her that. We don’t want her to go and get all “red carpet” on us just yet! (Proud of ya, Sher…you deserve it!)

The first week back to school after vacation is always insane, so I have not been getting out in time to get my full time in the gym. Yesterday and today, I had just less than an hour, which means I am getting in just about 4 miles. Booo! Time is a huge factor in this training. I will talk more about the timing thing in another post. For now I am off to finish some work and fold laundry.


Thanks for reading. More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment